RE: Something new about tires....???

To: LaJoMor@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Something new about tires....???
From: "Sterrett Smith" <sterrettsmith@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 22:57:25 -0400
Larry,

I guess its better than using OXYGEN for filling a tire.  That would cause
some pretty cool results especially if you are a pyromanic.  You also wonder
if the nitrogen thing is a more of a marketing gimmick by Costco.

I'll bet the use of nitrogen in tires is due to a lack of moisture, rather
than on its larger molecular size.

Commercial aircraft tires are filled wth dry nitrogen, not air.  The theory
being that the colder temps at the flight levels (where temperatures can get
as cold a -55C or more), any water vapor/condensation would freeze causing a
tire imbalance.  Not a good thing at landing speeds of 130 knots.

The "larger nitrogen molecules not leaking through the rubber" theory
doesn't make much sense as air is made up of 80% nitrogen anyway.  That is
if I remember my high school chemistry correctly, where I sat behind Anne
McKenna.  She was pretty hot. THAT, I do remember from class.  She probably
weighs 400 pounds now.  My reunion is coming up.  I'll keep you posted.

Sterrett Smith
CD7568L with some really lousy riding redlines that would run crappy even
with Nitrogen

Check out the new British Cars Forum: