Re: air conditioning for TR6

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: air conditioning for TR6
From: HalMorton@webtv.net (Harold M. Morton)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:33:17 -0500
Jason, List,                                                   I, too,
plan to eventually air condition my TR250. I started looking into this a
few years back, so I`ll just throw out a few ideas and opinions to
consider. If you plan to use a TR6 dealer installed system, you should
be aware that there is an adapter bracket available to allow the use of
a Sanden axial type compressor, rather than the original reciprocating
York.  The Sandens are both lighter and less power robbing than the
Yorks. The best price I`ve seen on the adapters is on eBay, about $40-
search Sanden compressor.         Also, there is a fairly easy way to
mount a Sanden compressor on the driver`s side of the engine. It
involves using the alternator/air pump bracket from the late TR6. some
tubular spacers (you`d have to fabricate), and driving the compressor
from the second pulley groove on the water pump. You also need the
"straight" late thermostat outlet from the later cars (as opposed to the
"angled" one that`s on the earlier models.                   An
alternative to the TR6 dealer installed evaporator/blower is available
from Vintage Air.(www.vintageair.com) This involves replacing the
originalTR6 heater/defroster unit with the Vintage Air unit. And doing
some custom ducting. You also may have to lose  or relocate your radio
with this setup. I`ve seen 2 TR6s done this way, and it looks and
functions well (according to the owners.) The Vintage Air unit used was
the Gen II Mini in one case, the Mini Space saver in the other.
All of this sounds like a lot of work- it is. But for those of us in the
subtropical South, it probably is worth it.

Hal Morton                                                  Pascagoula,
MS

Check out the new British Cars Forum: