Sizzling engine bay

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sizzling engine bay
From: "Sondergard, Michael L." <michael-sondergard@uiowa.edu>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 16:40:34 -0500
Haven't driven my 1973 Sixer for a couple of weeks now after simultaneously
experiencing a gas leak and a messy oil/fluid leak. To fix the gas leak, I
replaced a rubber elbow fuel line near the carburetor with a straight piece of
rubber that bends enough to allow fuel to pass through, at least while running
in the garage. Haven't yet seen a place that sells the rubber elbow but
probably ought to do that to be sure. Meanwhile, I haven't driven the car more
than 100 feet because everytime I do, it starts to sizzle and smoke up from
somewhere under the back of the engine. From what I can tell, a leak somewhere
around the transmission tunnel seems to have coated the exhaust pipe in oily
residue. After an initial major leak, I'm not seeing much in terms of oil spots
on the floor now, just stuff on the pipe. Engine oil is OK so maybe it's from
the transmission. My main question to the mechanically inclined is this: can I
safely drive the car to a mechanic this way or should it be towed?
Mike

Check out the new British Cars Forum: