RE: GT6 head

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: GT6 head
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 14:07:32 -0700
        Jim:

        While I can't tell if it is a GT6 head just by looking, the GT6
heads are much
higher compression when installed on a TR6 short block. The reason is
that the GT is a shorter
stroke version of the motor, so in order to keep the compression ratio
decent the combustion
chambers were much smaller.
        It isn't worth much extra money however, because shaving the
stock TR6 head will give you the exact
same result. They use the same casting, and it is simply machined a bit
more to deliver the smaller
chambers for the GT6.
        Now, if it has larger valves than the later TR6 heads, that
WOULD be something to pay a bit more
for. Higher compression + larger valves would be a significant power
adder. I believe (not sure on
this point) that the valve sizes were the same, however.
        The power potential on the GT6 long block is actually higher
than the TR6, because the shorter
stroke allows higher revs, and the valves are proportionately larger for
the GT6 because of the
smaller displacement. The TR6 motor, being under square (bore is smaller
than the stroke) has a more
limited power potential. The longer stroke will deliver more torque, but
limits the rev capability
all other things being equal. For street the TR motor is better, for
racing the GT motor is the
ticket.

        Cheers,

        Vance