Electric fan - works good, but....

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Electric fan - works good, but....
From: richard.r.olson@faa.gov
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:38:23 -0400
Too much free time on my hands, a decent running TR6 and a little
imagination spell trouble....

I did the electric fan conversion last weekend and since that is a bit of a
power drain, also did the GM alternator, too.  Both went without incident,
and I like the brighter lights.

I just took a 200 mile trip, mostly highway driving, low 80s F.  The fan
only went on twice, never had any problem with overheating, but was
surprised that the only time it went on was when I was stopped with the
engine running.  Well, maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but it works as
advertised.  Pulling 6lbs of fan and extension (along with a few lbs off
the flywheel) SEEMS to make a difference in spinup.  I've had to re tune my
left foot timing - prior to the changes I rarely shifted above 3000, now
before I realize it, the tachs reading 4000+.  This is an otherwise stock
engine; maybe it's time for that 9.5:1 head and a cam???

But the reason for this post is related to the fan installation.  I
followed Dan Master's suggested wiring, including the DPDT switch and
indicator lamp (the old 'SEAT BELT' lamp that never worked that now reads
'FAN').  Turns out I don't need the lamp because whenever the fan kicks on,
my ammeter pops 3/4 of the way over to 'C+' !  This is not a problem, it
just LOOKS alarming and I'm sure it's related to the higher capacity
alternator, ~9A fan load  and original ammeter.

 I've got a 10ga wire from the battery + post to the CB/relay and then to
the fan.  I assumed that the ammeter would ignore the fan because it's tied
directly to the battery, but I looks like what I'm seeing is the alternator
(re) charging the battery while the fan is on.  Does that sound right?

Rick Olson 'digesting'
'72 TR6 - CC78827U/HVDA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: