Air cleaner mods

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Air cleaner mods
From: richard.r.olson@faa.gov
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:03:35 -0400
Has anyone experimented with modifying the air cleaner intake to grab
fresh/cooler air in front of the shroud?  I was thinking along the lines of
the earlier 6/Spitfire<?> with the two small diameter hoses running between
the AC housing and the shroud.  I recently fabbed a sheet metal 'snout' on
to the front of my spare AC.  It terminates in a 4" diameter tube which is
connected via rubber (sewer pipe!) connector through a hole in my aluminum
shroud.  I also opened up the two rectangular holes on the front of the AC
a bit.  The math shows that the old opening (including the bottom rear
opening) was ~8.5 sq inches.  The revised opening is ~12 sq inches.
Question: Bigger is better?  As in more air flow.
Question: Will this have an effect on the A/F ratio (good or bad)

I've read a little about the theoretical 1% increase in HP for each 11
degree drop in temp(related to air density).  I've measured my air temps.
Inside the stock AC it was ~125 degrees F after a 20 minute drive, while
the air temperature in front of the shroud was ambient (77 that day).
Question: 48 degree drop gives me 4 more HP?  What's the catch?

Like I said in my last post - I've got too much time on my hands....

Rick Olson 'digesting'
'72 TR6 - CC78827U/HVDA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: