Re: Overheating

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overheating
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:52:22 -0700
Jason----Here's a couple of ideas...Use an antifreeze mix closer to
30/70. Your 70/30 mix, assuming the antifreeze is your higher number, is
not the best combo in carrying away system heat. You want water to be
the larger percentage of the mix.

When filling the system, be sure your coolant entry point is the higher
than the engine, tank, etc., even if you have to jack up the front or
side of the car. Note that on most TR's, one doesn't have to take this
step, but maybe on your TVR?

Is the water tap you write of the one that's supposed to control water
to the heater? Do you have a water control valve that can be operated
from the cockpit?

Or, if it's the water pipe that helps regulate the fuel temperature on
the intake manifold, this has been known to plug up in the corner. It
can sometimes be cleaned out with a rod and brush. Or just replace the
pipe. This shouldn't have any bearing on your total engine temperature,
but it's a good idea to have this water circulating, for better
drivability in the city.
Finally, run the engine with the pressure cap off till you're sure the
thermostat is open, and the engine pump has had time to bleed all of the
air out of the system.
Then be sure the cap holds pressure.

Dick

Jason wrote:
So, I have a '73 TVR 2500M with the TR6 engine that has recently enjoyed
a complete rebuild, including the engine.
The reason for this rebuild was primarily problems stemming from chronic
overheating. As I am now getting the car back on the road, I am
understandably concerned (perhaps paranoid!) about the cooling system.
My cooling system is modified to be pressurized. Theoretically, it
should work: I have a small reservoir and rad cap in-line in the top rad
hose. Overflow goes to an overflow tank. The top rad hose goes into a
larger Volvo Turbo radiator that is at least twice the size of the stock
TVR unit.
So, my capacity should be close to stock. I've lost the big expansion
tank but gained a bigger rad.

Filling the system today I had massive problems - the rad wasn't heating
evenly and I could only get about 4 liters of coolant in (70/30 mix).
After tearing my hair out a friend suggested it is likely a massive air
lock.
Is this common with the TR6 engine? is it supposed to be this difficult
to fill? any comments on my setup? suggestions?

My engine seems to have a water tap that has been plugged off on the
rear-passenger side of the engine. Removing the plug I encounter pretty
solid gunk. Is it possible this tap was not drilled all the way through
or is it likely there's just a lot of packed sediment in there (even
after the block was cleaned)?
At this point, all comments are welcome. Thanks in advance! Jason

Check out the new British Cars Forum: