Bosch Upgrade

To: Six Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bosch Upgrade
From: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
List,

The alternator on my '74 TR6 died or was about to die
the other day.  I think, no problem I'll just pop this
one off my '76 parts car.  Well, the brackets are
different to allow for the air pump.  I look through
the archives & find the info on the Bosch alternator
upgrade including part numbers.  I find a suitable
replacement at NAPA(part numbers have change btw).  I
pick it up the next day & to my surprise the housing
says Lucas on it...funny.  Anyway, I notice that on my
'74 there are 3 terminals that are connected.  2 on
the plug & 1 separate.  The Bosch plastic piece on the
back does NOT have a hole for the 3
connector(separate).  I then pop the black plastic
cover off of it & find that on the Lucas there are 3
wires coming out of this little box...well 4 including
black ground.  There is a larger gauge Red wire & a
smaller gauge orange wire both of which go to the
large connector that the plug plugs into on the back.
There is a 3rd white wire that the separate brown wire
connects to.  On the Bosch there is the Black Ground &
a yellow wire coming out of this "box" on the top &
from the yellow wire a smaller gauge brown wire hooks
to the larger terminals.  There is NO larger red wire
& no white wire.

Was I sold the wrong unit?  Do I have to use parts off
the Lucas unit?  Perhaps they did NOT remanufacture it
correctly or perhaps the 2 wires I'm missing are
redundant.  HELP!!!

Todd
btw, I took apart the '76 alternator & swapped the
little brush pack on the back & she's down the road,
but the thought of 55 amps sounds appealing!

Check out the new British Cars Forum: