Re: Glass channel replacement

To: BMD2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Glass channel replacement
From: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 21:45:20 -0400
Hi Tom,
I'm not sure if you need help removing the door handle trim or the panel
itself so I'll do my best to explain all.

To remove the door lock & window crank handle you need to apply pressure
to the door panel to make some space between the handle & panel. Get a
ridged piece of wire ( a good coat hanger or similar ) to push the
retaining pin which is located in the back of the handle. The pin slips
through the handle & square shaft on both the window & door release
handle. Reinstalling these is so much fun you'll want to do it just for
kicks later. A good long nose pliers or long tweezers will help with the
reinstall. Dick Taylor had a great idea by using welding rods or similar
& pre-scoring the rod to the pin length, inserting it & then bending it
over to snap the end off.

With both of these removed & the handles off,  the remaining panel is
held on with spring clips. If you carefully wedge a medium to large
screwdriver under the panel you can pry these clips out. Try to place
the screwdriver as close to or under the clip so you don't tear the
fiber board on the door panel the clips attach to. There is a panel
removal tool made by KD & others if you plan on doing this allot :-) .

Hope this helps, holler if you need more.

--
Mitch Seff
Oceanside, N.Y.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: