Re: stock ride height

To: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Subject: Re: stock ride height
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:46:52 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Lumia, John wrote:

> I have been searching the archives for this, but does anyone know what the
> stock ride height should be for a later TR6 with stock 185 tires?  I bought
> some uprated springs for the rear a couple of years ago, which raised the rear
> a little but looks fine.  Now I just replaced the front springs with uprated
> Moss springs and it is sitting way high in the front.  I almost want to put
> the old ones back on.  Thanks.

Most of the replies you'll get on this will tell you the height of the
upper wheel arch, I tend to have a slightly different approach. :-)

Regardless of the frame height (or wheel arck height), the car should be
set up so that there is a slightly higher height in the rear. The reason
for this is that the car will tend to squat under power and you will get
better overall balance of the car with the car closer to level in this
squatted position.

That said, with some of the uprated springs, the stock TR6 frame should be
about 5.5 inches from the ground measured at the axle line of the front
wheels and about 6.0 inches measured at the corner of the frame just in
front of the rear wheels. Others of the uprated springs will make the car
a tad higher, as much as an additional inch. You can remedy this situation
by removing the spring pads. You can recover about 3/8 to 1/2" or frame
clearance when you pull the pads.

Also, make sure that the suspension is not binding after the install of
the new springs and make certain that the upper contact between the spring
and the spring pad in the frame (the "tower") is fully seated. Binding can
cause some real wierdness not only in the static appearance but also in
the handling!

Now, if you wanna "slam" your car a tad, let me know. I think TR6's look
best with the front frame under 2" from the ground... but it makes speed
bumps a real bitch! :-0

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |

Check out the new British Cars Forum: