Re: inertial seat belt mechanism

To: "Pallones" <ppallones@core.com>, "6-pack" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: inertial seat belt mechanism
From: genehart@att.net
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 22:05:29 +0000
Phil,

Just went thru the seatbelt thing. Here are your choices in Inertia Reel.

Have to replace the webbing no matter what, snake oil corp.
http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/main.htm does this but its costly. (very costly)
Replace them with new model inertia reel. (What most people do.) And no
concourse point deductions.
Go to ebay and bid on replacements from parts cars. (this only gets you half
way, still need new webbing)
Change to just cheap lap belts? Potentially unsafe, but previous to '72 they
had them. JC witney is the cheapest source.

Me, well I decided on refurbishing my Kangools. It took anout 6 months of
finding replacement parts on E-bay, finding those plastic covers that always
seem to break, then re-installing the hardware in the Wheel wells and door
posts. It was a pain in the ^%&. And I have two unusable sets for parts.

All in all it was way more than I wanted to spend, In the end it cost me $575.
But I like the way they feel and look, especially with the original set belt
parkers. But if I had to do it over, I would go with off the shelf period
replacements, inertia reel. Probably cost less than $200.

--
Gene Hart
genehart@att.net

Inagural run Aug 29 '04
Restoration began Feb 18 '03.

Thanks patient & loving wife.
(c)(201)981-3327
________________________
No sweeter sound than a TR6
running after 18 months.

-------------- Original message from "Pallones" <ppallones@core.com>:
--------------

> All,
>
> Just starting to put together this (gulp) winter's to-do list. Included
> are...
>
> 1. door trim vinyl kit
> 2. new spare tire (old redline looks original - pretty cracked)
> 3. I may have someone who will sell me a hard top - needs prepped, painted,
> etc.
>
> Also, my inertial style seat belt mechanisms are pretty "tired".
>
> Is it worth tearing them apart, cleaning, replacing springs/whatever else
> looks worn, or just buying new ones ($180+ range for a pair)? Is there a
> shop that will rebuild? Cost?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Phil Pallone
> CF22155U
> Cleveland, Ohio
> (Browns didn't loose yesterday - it was a bye-week)

Participate in Democracy.

"In the end, we will not so much remember the words of our enemies,
but the silence of our friends."  Martin Luther King, Jr.