Limits of shipment liability

To: <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Limits of shipment liability
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <MGC4@CDC.GOV>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:47:43 -0500
Listers--

I just had a very interesting conversation with FedEx.  I used FedEx
ground to ship my 1974 TR6 exhaust manifold for coating; they broke off
the mounting flange (not sure how) and rendered the manifold unusable.

I had declared the value of the item at $300.00--about what a tube
header costs, since exhaust manifolds are not available.  After
providing paperwork for my claim (including a digital image of the item
and a catalog listing for a replacement header) they sent me a check for
$100.00.  Along with the check was a listing of items they decide have a
maximum value of $100.00--automobile parts were not on the list.

When I called to inquire about the discrepancy, they informed that any
part for a 1974 automobile is considered an "antique", regardless of
whether the part is still in production.  No amount of reasoning made
any difference to them.

Regardless of what you think your parts are worth, FedEx (and I would
assume other shippers) will limit their liability to a maximum of
$100.00.  Below is text from their website:

REGARDLESS OF THE DECLARED VALUE OF A PACKAGE, OUR LIABILITY FOR LOSS,
DAMAGE, DELAY, MISDELIVERY, NONDELIVERY, MISINFORMATION, ANY FAILURE TO
PROVIDE INFORMATION, OR MISDELIVERY OF INFORMATION, WILL NOT EXCEED A
SHIPMENT'S REPAIR COST, ITS DEPRECIATED VALUE, OR ITS REPLACEMENT COST,
WHICHEVER IS LESS.

The lesson here is--let the sender beware.  And buy extra insurance for
those high-value items.

Michael Campsmith--with a $200.00 hole in my wallet.