roller rockers

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: roller rockers
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:41:46 EST
My first engine rebuild attempt is turning into a potential money pit.  The
$1500 rebuild I described to my wife is now ....more.  I've bought a GP2 cam
along with some other go fast goodies.  Richard Good advised that I might
consider getting the roller rockers at the same time.  I initially decided that
roller rockers were not a priority.  I wonder if I made a good descision not to
buy them.  What do ya'll think?  Is $670.00 too much to spend on this addition?

Is the performance/longevity return worth the investment?  If I keep the
stock rocker gear, I'll need to replace the rocker shaft and a couple of rocker
arms, and  I plan on installing cam bearings anyway so I thought what the heck,
its just money.  My wife reminded me that it's also a house payment, or my
kids first semester tuition at UVa., or health insurance...  Reality check!
What
is the better ratio for a souped up street car?  I've heard that 1.65:1 is
for race cars only.  RIchard Good offers 1.5 and 1.65:1 Will the stock push
rods
work on a 9.5:1 with both ratios?  I have a set of PI push rods that are way
too short. ... I guess I could add the roller rockers later, but since I have
the head off, I should probably at least install heavier valve springs now,
rather than try to put new springs on an installed head if I get the roller
rockers later.  Can someone wax lyrical on the benefits of roller rockers, or
wake
me up to the reality that this is just a car!
So many choices, so little funds
Joe Davis