Re: roller rockers

To: 6Pack List <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: roller rockers
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:57:17 -0800 (PST)
Joe,

I have the GP3 cam with 1.65 rockers on my car.  No problems with
drivability, and this is a street-driven car.  In fact it was my sole
mode of transport from May-Dec 1999 and May-August 2000 (while on
internships), with these mods, and I would estimate I did about 15K
miles during that time.  I am running 9.5ish compression and did not
need to make any push rod mods.  And as with all of the Goodparts parts
that are on my car, I am very happy with them, but wish (as RML stated)
that I could get a transparent valve cover so that those beauties would
be more visible!!

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

--- Lizirbydavis@cs.com wrote:

> My first engine rebuild attempt is turning into a potential money
> pit.  The
> $1500 rebuild I described to my wife is now ....more.  I've bought a
> GP2 cam
> along with some other go fast goodies.  Richard Good advised that I
> might
> consider getting the roller rockers at the same time.  I initially
> decided that
> roller rockers were not a priority.  I wonder if I made a good
> descision not to
> buy them.  What do ya'll think?  Is $670.00 too much to spend on this
> addition?
> Is the performance/longevity return worth the investment?  If I keep
> the
> stock rocker gear, I'll need to replace the rocker shaft and a couple
> of rocker
> arms, and  I plan on installing cam bearings anyway so I thought what
> the heck,
> its just money.  My wife reminded me that it's also a house payment,
> or my
> kids first semester tuition at UVa., or health insurance...  Reality
> check!  What
> is the better ratio for a souped up street car?  I've heard that
> 1.65:1 is
> for race cars only.  RIchard Good offers 1.5 and 1.65:1 Will the
> stock push rods
> work on a 9.5:1 with both ratios?  I have a set of PI push rods that
> are way
> too short. ... I guess I could add the roller rockers later, but
> since I have
> the head off, I should probably at least install heavier valve
> springs now,
> rather than try to put new springs on an installed head if I get the
> roller
> rockers later.  Can someone wax lyrical on the benefits of roller
> rockers, or wake
> me up to the reality that this is just a car!
> So many choices, so little funds
> Joe Davis

Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
www.yahoo.com