RE: Port matching and Falcon Group 44 headers

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: Port matching and Falcon Group 44 headers
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 19:41:08 -0800
        Don:

        While what you are suggesting can't really hurt, I doubt that it
will make any difference unless you have already extensively reworked
your head. The reason is that the major restriction to flow is the
valve, not a small mismatch between the exhaust port and the header
tube.
        If you have radiused your exhaust valve margins, done a 3 angle
valve job, pocket ported the head, and installed some sort of high
performance valve with cut down valve stems, etc. then I think you
*MIGHT* see a difference in flow by matching your headers to the head.
        Headers generate power by virtue of the inertia contained in a
moving column of gas. That is going to happen best with a tube that is
long and narrow for a street motor. This will not be affected by the
mismatch that you are describing. Also, remember that the exhaust gas
pressure is high, and so in general flow is less affected by turbulence
than is the intake side of the motor.
        Power in general is locked up in the head, and in particular the
power is locked up in the vicinity of the valve because that is THE
single most significant flow restriction. Spend your time, energy and
money on detailing the valve and valve pocket. That will generate the
best returns.
        If you are at risk of affecting the weld integrity of the
header, don't mess with it. If not, then there is no harm in doing what
you are describing.

        Cheers,

        Vance