Fw: Lowering pitfalls question

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: Lowering pitfalls question
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:31:39 -0600
    Shawn's comments on the rear tube shock conversion reminded me of some
things to look out for. When installing the Revington  Coil over kit it was
STRESSED not to allow the shock to act as the over travel stop and to make
sure the bump stops bottom out 1/2" before the shock does. Pretty sure this
would apply to any tube shock conversion, if I'm wrong hopefully someone will
correct me. I'm thinking stress cracks in the frame which have been talked
about with tube conversions.
    You can check this by assembling all of the suspension, but the spring and
bump stop, raise the TA and measure how close it comes to the stop on the
body. Then measure the bump stop, hopefully the stop will be 1/2" longer. If
not add some spacers to the underside. I welded a 3/16" square plate to the
body stop. That area was dented upwards and I figured thicker metal would keep
it from denting again. plus needed the extra material for the bump stop.
    All of this shouldn't matter much if lever shocks are being used.
    Thanks Shawn for the comments on the front suspension, as I lowered my car
with Good's springs and was concerned about neg camber issues and installed
the spacers without first checking it with no spacers. I was rushed for time
when putting the car back together and didn't want to waste another day or so
putting the car together. The car did sit a lot better lowered, plus there was
noticeably less body sway.

  Richard Seaton
  RSH17@msn.com<mailto:RSH17@msn.com>
  View My restoration @