brakes

To: "6pack@Autox. Team. Net" <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: brakes
From: "Ian Breyer" <IBreyer@fw1.Hartynet.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:20:01 -0500
Hey all. Hopefully some of you experts can provide me a little advice.

When I got my TR6 in April my friend and I did the front brakes (new pads,
had the rotors cut). We were going to adjust the rear brakes but we noted
the wheel cylinders could use replacing so we decided to put the off. In the
meantime I ordered new cylinders and rear brake shoes but we never got
around to doing the job. In the meantime I drove the car all summer.
Recently I noticed the brakes definitely had something wrong with them. I
ordered a replacement braided stainless steel flex brake hose kit (since I
didnt have a lot of confidence in the old ones) and this past weekend we
replaced all flex hose line, wheel cylinders, rear shoes, had drums cut. It
turned out on of the rear cylinders had burst so apparently the rear brakes
werent working at all.

The car is ten times better than it was before but it still seems as though
I have to press the pedal further to the floor than I remember back in May.
When they grab it stops good. I would have thought there would have been a
much more solid feel with the new flexible steel hoses. Im thinking of
rebuilding the master cylinder just to see what happens (peace of mind). The
brake booster seems to be working but I wouldnt be able to tell if it is
100% or not. Maybe Im crazy and everything is fine. We bled the brake
system twice, starting from the rear passenger side, just to be sure we didn
t have any air in the system. Im using Castrol GT brake fluid, which
claims to exceed DOT 4 standards. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Ian
72 TR6

P.S. Thanks to everyone with the suggestions for adjusting my hood. We did
that this weekend also. It took about an hour. I could have screwed with it
more but its a lot better than it was. Previously the hood was rubbing the
paint off near the windshield.