Re: oil cooler thermostat

To: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: oil cooler thermostat
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:06:38 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Greg Dito wrote:

> I would agree with Rick.  I will be installing an oil cooler for my
> modified engine and do not plan on using a thermostat.  The only
> rationale for this device is to close off the cooler path when the oil
> is cold so it warms up faster.  But once the engine (and oil) is at
> operating temperature the thermostat serves no function.  Especially
> in Atlanta.

I have to disagree with this logic. If the oil is really cold, the oil
pressure will be very high - much more than 75 PSI. This high pressure
will cause the oil pressure relif valve to dump pressure. The result is
unfiltered oil to the engine, which is a bad plan.

The working question here is "what is the operating temperature range of
the engine"? Be honest when you address the question. If you never see
ambients below 45F, then the thermostat might be overkill. BUT if you
start the car and see oil pressure in the 100 PSI range - you should think
about what's happening in the motor.

If you are paranoid about the cooler failing (this was another point made
by a poster), then rig up a couple of 1/2"BSP "couplers" to put in place
of the thermostat if it fails. Also, should the cooler get compromised,
you'll dump all your oil real fast. The fix is to route the hose from the
outlet back to the inlet on the oil filter adapter.

There... more than anyone needs to know about oil coolers on TR6's.

:-)

> Greg Dito
> CD6250L

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |