TBI Answer 1

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: TBI Answer 1
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:55:06 -0500
  I have tried unsuccessfully three times to send this to the list. I
cant figure out why it isn't making it unless it is too long. So I am
breaking it into part one and part two. Hope it works this time.

 Hi Randy,

  TBI stands for Throttle Body Injection. This is a fuel injection
system for the TR6 that uses machined aluminum inserts that sit in the
bodies of your carbs after you have removed the top of the carbs. The
system uses two injectors from a late model GM car, and the various
other components needed to run the system.(throttle position sensor,
computer, electric fuel pump, fuel regulator, wiring harness, etc.)

  Rick Patton is the brains and talent behind the product. Since he
converted his own car to multi-port fuel injection he used my car as a
test car for the system. My car met the basic requirements he needed
since it has a stock motor and was running well originally with carbs.
It also helps that I live 5 miles from him. Last fall we started the
conversion and completed the TBI set-up the night before heading on a 5
hour trip to Stowe, Vermont. The trip was the first time the system had
been road tested. Yes, we were brave. We felt comfortable taking the
trip since we knew if we had a major problem with the set-up we could
switch back to carbs in about a half hour on the side of the road. The
car performed incredibly well, even though it was running on a computer
chip that was an "educated guess" since we had never tried the system
before. The only two problems were some sediment that clogged the fuel
filter and an intermittent high idle problem that ended up being a
vacuum leak. Gas mileage was great, close to 30 mpg on back roads and
up and over the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Power is noticeably
improved, as is throttle response. But the car is simply transformed in
how it feels when driven. With the TBI set-up it is just so incredibly
smooth. To me the TBI set-up made the TR6 feel very much like a modern
car.

  I have tried to be thorough, but brief. There is a bunch more
information for those who are interested. I have a couple pics posted
at www.triumphowners.com/108.

  Rick is in the process of creating a stand alone web site about the
system. For now his web site has many more details:

 http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/

  Rick has started a discussion group on yahoo.com. The link for that
group is: