Re: GL4/5 gear oil

To: Bruce Moxon <bamxn@triad.rr.com>
Subject: Re: GL4/5 gear oil
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:01:51 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 1 Jul 2005, Bruce Moxon wrote:

> I have read on the list that the use of GL5 is not recommended for our gear
> box. What about oil that is labelled  GL4 and GL5?

NOPE. Use the oil that is GL4 _only_. If it's GL5, it probably has the
sulphur stuff in it that eats bronze/brass.

There are lots of applications that need GL4 out there, so you shouldbe
able to track some down at a "full line" parts depot.

> Bruce

rml

p.s. my tranny is finally starting to make noise like the layshaft is on
the way out. It's been about 40k miles since the rebuild and I raced the
car for two years ('96/'97) to boot. I _used to use_ Mobil 1 gear oil in
there 'till I drained it once and there was LOTS of brass particles in
there. But this failure is likely one of the "soft layshafts" from the mid
90's. I have a hardened one as a replacement...
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx