Rear Hub Trailing Arm Mounting

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Hub Trailing Arm Mounting
From: "Paul G. Edelstein" <pgedelstein@capitaltriumphregister.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 18:03:02 -0400
Good afternoon, all.

This morning, I started to remove my right rear hub to send out for rebuilding
due to play in the bearing.  I hope to finish the job in time for the TRF
Party.

The last time I had the hub out (< 2 years ago), I had to helicoil 4 of the 6
studs.  I used 5/16 coarse thread helicoils and standard studs because I think
this is better for the aluminum.  The other two seemed tight.  I was then, and
remain, amazed that the torque spec for the nyloc nuts is a mere 15 ft-lb; I
assume that this is adequate to keep the axle in place without ripping the
studs out of the delicate aluminum.  Still, makes me queasy, particularly when
cornering briskly.  When I removed the basically wrist tight nuts this AM. all
the new studs unscrewed from the helicoils, rather than the nyloc nuts from
the studs.  I guess this is to be expected.

Anyway, at the risk of being repetitive, I remain uncomfortable with the
entire mounting scheme.  Upon reassembly, I am considering the following:

(1) Leaving all as is;
(2) Using grade 8 bolts with lockwashers (I'm afraid to use threadlocker on
the helicoils) directly into the helicoils, in place of the studs and nuts; or
(3)  Replacing the helicoils with the stronger type of insert that is solid
and basically like a cylinder liner.  I could use threadlocker on these to
keep them in the training arms permanently, and use either the studs or
bolts.

Comments, suggestions, feedback, reassurances, horror stories, in any
combination, would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul E.
Annandale, VA
71 TR6 Damson CC67060
80 TR8 Aqua TPVDV8AT210430
98 Range Rover 4.6 Niagara Gray SALPV1444WA403669