Gear Box or Diff?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Gear Box or Diff?
From: RJSmalling@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 12:37:48 EDT
Dear 6-pack Listers,

I am getting a serious grinding noise and random thump from the drivetrain
when I come off the accelerator in any gear. Under cruise or  acceleration the
car is smooth and you would not know anything is  wrong. Push in the clutch
and it goes away.  I thought is was coming  from the rear passenger hub which
had alot of play in it so I replaced that HUB  along with all 4 half shaft u
joints. Still grinding.  So now I need to  figure out if the problem is in the
Diff or the gear box or somewhere  else.  Diff was professionally rebuilt about
15,000 miles ago. Gear  box shifts smoothly in all 4 gears and reverse. Any
thoughts on where  the problem lies?

Thanks,

Rich Smalling
Sterling, Virginia