Re: Flywheel Bolts

To: janah@att.net
Subject: Re: Flywheel Bolts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 10:30:06 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 janah@att.net wrote:

> Hi Guys,

(don't forget the Gals!)

> What do folks do to remove the flywheel bolts?

I use an impact wrench. They come right out.

> How do you keep the
> engine from turning?

With the impact wrench, you don't need to stop it.

However, if you want to use a breaker bar for the job, try to "rope
trick". Place some rope into the number 1 and number 6 holes (I use about
6 feet of 3/16" nylon in each hole) then run the motor toward
top-dead-center. The rope will keep the motor from turning.

> Do folks use loctite on these bolts?

If you use the stock bolts, then it's not a bad idea to use some RED
loctite (aka high-strength) and then torque to spec. Note, however, that
you should check the bolts carefully if you are re-using them. These bolts
fail when they are overstretched by the forces of the flywheel... if you
use new bolts, make certain that there's no burrs on the head of the bolt!
I have obtained a lot of these bolts over the last couple of years and
there are burrs on the heads! You don't want this, and you should lightly
"dress" the burrs away with a jeweler's file.

If you use the alternate ARP bolts, you use the ARP thread lube and you
torque them to the ARP spec. FWIW, the ARP bolts are a really nice upgrade
for attaching your flywheel and they only cost about $15. That's chepa
money for peace of mind.

Note: DO NOT USE AN IMPACT WRENCH TO INSTALL THE FLYWHEEL BOLTS! You won't
get accurate and even torque and it is very easy to over-tighten the bolts
leading to guaranteed bolt failure.

> John Cyg

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx