Re: Subject: Flywheel Bolts

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, janah@att.net
Subject: Re: Subject: Flywheel Bolts
From: MTRsix71@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 20:06:12 EDT
John,
I was not able to rig up a screw driver on the teeth of the ring gear as
suggested. Maybe I was not trying correctly, but what I ended up doing was
using
a C-clamp.

First remove the starter. Then thru that large hole in the rear engine
plate, I positioned a 4" C-clamp directly onto the front and rear face of  the
flywheel. I used small plywood pieces as scratch protection for the  flywheel.
Tighten the C-clamp very tight. The screw of the C-clamp is positioned  inside
the hole and the C of the clamp is over the outer edge of the engine  plate.

>From there you can put another box end wrench on one of the bolt heads and
position the wrench to "hold back" on the C-clamp. This will remove three of
the  four bolts. For the last bolt I simply let the screw of the C-clamp
contact
the  inside edge of the starter mounting hole of the engine plate and was
able to  break it free.

Installation is the same in reverse. I had my flywheel resurfaced when I  had
it out so I was not too worried about scratching it during removal, but
really I did not mar the fresh surface either on installation.

Good luck,
MRankin
1971 TR6 CC 61212 L