oil pressure guage o-ring

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: oil pressure guage o-ring
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:43:07 -0700 (PDT)
Listers:

Whyizzit that the teeny little parts are ones that drive me nuts?

My latest aggrivation is the teeny little leather o-ring that seals the
connection between the oil pressure line and the dash pressure guage. I have
one SOMEWHERE in my garage, but danged if it'll show itself.

Yes, I know I can order another one, but two things make me not want to do
that; the $5+ shipping for a $1 part, and the need to get the dash in right
away. She Who Must Be Obeyed has dropped several un-subtle hints about the
"car" and the need to "get it done".

Would it be okay to fashion my own seal by applying a very thin bead of
silicone sealant in the groove where the o-ring would fit on the guage? My plan
would be to let it cure completely before attaching the oil pressure line.

Am I asking for trouble by doing this?

Jim