oil pressure guage o-ring

To: <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: oil pressure guage o-ring
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 15:59:45 -0600
Jim, I just happened to discover this leather seal in the catalog last
night.  Which is interesting because I just installed a new oil line
last week without the seal, but I'm not really sure if it leaks.  I have
run it for about an hour since I installed it, I will look tonight to
see if it has leaked and get back to you.  But if it were me, I would be
hesitant to try the silicone sealant approach.  I wonder if a gasket
could be made out of some old gasket material like a spare thermostat
gasket?  An O-ring might be better.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

Jim wrote:>

Would it be okay to fashion my own seal by applying a very thin bead of
silicone sealant in the groove where the o-ring would fit on the guage?
My plan would be to let it cure completely before attaching the oil
pressure line.

Am I asking for trouble by doing this?

Jim