RE: Reupholstering seats

To: "jeff m" <jmackd1@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Reupholstering seats
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:48:25 -0700
        Jeff:

        I bought the Moss kits, and did mine myself. They turned out
very nice, although I had a minor complaint about the moss kits; they
don't include foam for the headrests. It is trivial to cut your own
foam, but I find it puzzling that the kit includes everything you need
except a 98 cent piece of foam. Anyway, I picked up some foam from a
local department store, and cut a suitably sized rectangle, then folded
it over the headrest frame and slipped on the cover. Looks great.
        Having said that, I followed the instructions here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040201154258/http:/www.buckeyetriumphs.org/

        Click on the "technical" link, and scroll down. You will find
instructions on how to reupholster your seats. I suggest you also buy
the webbing kit and new seat diaphragms (not included in the kits). The
old webbing will be on it's last legs, and the diaphragms will tear, if
they have not already done so.
        My seats had been done by some idiot before I bought my car.
Substituted for the diaphragms were some pieces of what appeared to be
an old shower curtain (I am not making this up) that had been pop
riveted to the frame. This had torn of course, so my DPO wedged some
1"x2" garden stakes up under the seat to keep his butt from resting on
the floor pan while he drove. Sigh. The seats were done is some sort of
black velvet like material. Great to keep you from sliding around while
cornering, but it looked ghastly.

        Cheers,

        Vance