RE: Center idiot light

To: "glc/crc@13 Fairway" <glccrc@ptd.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Center idiot light
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:16:19 -0700
        George:

        Sounds like your car has been extensively modified, so all bets
are off as to the correctness of the owners manual (If it is even the
correct manual for your car).
        The factory located the OD switch on the steering column, on the
left between the turn signal stalk and the dash. The switch looks like
an extra long turn signal stalk. So your PO (previous owner) simply
rigged something up that would work, rather than use the factory
configuration. At least you have an OD installed in the car, which adds
something like $1,000 to it's value.
        The ignition switch was located where your OD switch is, but
only for the 1969 model year. Since your car is a 70, it may be a 69
registered as a 70 in which case the ignition switch belongs where the
OD switch is presently. If your car is indeed a 70, then your PO simply
used the switch plinth from a 69 to permit the mounting of the OD switch
where the ignition switch hole was located. In 1970, the ignition switch
was relocated below the steering column to accommodate steering locking
and the plinth changed to 4 holes from 5.
        As far as your constantly glowing OD light, it means whatever
your PO wanted it to mean. I suspect is simply means that power is
applied to the OD switch, but not the OD itself.

        Cheers,

        Vance