RE: Any air filter recommendations?

To: "James_ TR6" <jattr6@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Any air filter recommendations?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 09:28:07 -0700
        James:

        At this point in time there is still only one brand to consider,
and that is K&N. They flow the best, and do so while still filtering out
the grit that shortens engine life.
        You can get K&N from Moss for $40 ea or from Martel Brothers
(www.martelbros.com) for $35 each with free shipping. These are the
filters that fit the stock air cleaner. If you want the full assembly
that bolts on as your existing filters do, they are about $75 each from
Moss.
        I believe that K&Ns patent may have expired, because for many
years K&N was the only company offering the oiled gauze filter, despite
many articles and authors praising the performance of this design. But
recently I believe I saw Holley (of carburetor fame) offering the same
design. Hence my guess that the K&N patent had expired.
        In any event, David Vizard (my hero) has offered gobs of data
showing that K&N is THE way to go. Expect about a 2% performance gain
with K&N versus a paper air filter.

        Vance