RE: Goodparts Rack Mounts

To: "JOHN JOHNSON" <john70350@msn.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Goodparts Rack Mounts
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 17:13:32 -0400
Only what was discussed - make sure you have a beefy allen wrench with a
longish shaft so you can get some leverage on the allen bolts and don't
be surprised when you find the nuts are really really difficult to
tighten. Someone mentioned that anti-seize compound helped. I would also
suggest tightening the two bolts in each mount evenly because the upper
part of the bracket tends to pivot if you just tighten up the bolt on
one side.

The alu mounts are well made and fit perfectly. You don't have to
disconnect the track rod ends, you can just lift the rack a little to
get the lower mounts in place and if your frame and brackets and rack
are in good shape it takes very little time to swap out the old
mountings. Its just those nuts that are a pain in the posterior and I'm
still not happy with the way I have them tightened up.

I think it was Bob Lang that suggested they were special jam nuts and
they certainly fit the description (shallow, a bugger tighten) but when
I looked them up I saw that jam nuts are normally used in conjunction
with a normal nut to stop the other nut from vibrating loose. We only
get one nut per bolt with this kit so I really don't know what is going
on.

Let us know what your experience is like.

Stan