RE: Goodparts Rack Mounts

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: RE: Goodparts Rack Mounts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:11:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, Mark Hooper wrote:

> Is there a lot of extra road or mechanical vibration transmitted to
> the steering wheel? What about bump steer; is it reduced? Real-world
> experiences please write in.

The TR6 has an elastic rubber coupler between the lower steering shaft and
the upper steering shaft which totally isolate road shocks from the
steering wheel. As a result, if you install the solid mounts, you get more
positive steering and pretty much no difference in the road feel through
the steering wheel.

Regarding bump steer, in theory, you could install shims under the rack
mounts (or cut them down) to move the rack up/down, but you'd only need to
do this if you were serious about some aspect of bump steer remediation.

I have not changed the height of the rack mounts on either car. Granted
there's probably a lot of bump steer in a TR6, but if you limit the
suspension "rate" with springs and shocks, you more or less "dampen" the
impact of the geometry changes anyway... if you're driving a TR6 on the
street, you need to worry about a lot of other stuff before you have to
start changing the suspension geometry.

Don't forget - the TR6 was designed by teams of engineers and pretty much
everything is there for a reason. If you start messing with things, you'll
wind up with unintended changes in other things!!!

> Mark
> 1972 TR6

regards,
rml
TR6's
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx