Re: Revisiting the timing issue

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Revisiting the timing issue
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 18:46:02 -0700
Rick N.---There are numbers and marks on most of our timing pulleys.
Some go from 16 deg. ATDC to 24 deg. BTDC. Yours may be painted over, so
give the pulley a cleaning to see where you're at. Rub the perimeter
with a stick of (there's that) white chalk, to make it more clear.
The first wide mark to come into view (as the engine turns clockwise, as
viewed from the front of the car) will be the "Zero" mark, or TDC. Four
deg. later will be the ATDC mark. You'll want to turn the distributor to
co-incide with the "10" on the Before side, of course. If your timing
was really that far advanced (can't tell from here) it's possible that
your idle speed was set slower, so you may have to adjust the carb
screws to return to the speed you like. Recheck the timing again, as
(fast) idle speed can affect timing.

When using the propane to look for a vacuum leak, it's good to attach a
piece of hose over the end of the torch nozzle. That way you can bend it
down and under the manifold (to get closer) to search for gasket leaks.
Other than the  rotating engine fan, just normal precautions when
dealing with a gas.

Dick

From:
rnorris1@swbell.net(Rick Norris) Date: Mon,

I finally put a timing light on my '75 and discovered that the timing is
way advanced. I feel pretty confident that the vacuum retard either
doesn't work, as when I apply a vacuum no change occurs in the engine
idle, or it's been crippled. When I remove the vacuum line between the
rear carb and the retard pot, no change occurs either.
I've seen the advice on this listserve to block the vacuum retard and
simply set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC. How does one locate that point
on the damper?
Am I correct in assuming that the first of the two timing marks to
appear is TDC and the second being 4 degrees ATDC?
Just out of curiosity, how advanced might the timing be if ignition
occurs, as in my case, when the TDC mark (the first mark) is just coming
into view on the other side of the damper?
I read that an unlit propane torch is a good way to locate vacuum leaks.
Any potential unpleasant surprises in pursuing that strategy as long as
I keep the torch over on the intake side?
Rick Norris