Revisiting the timing issue...

To: 6-pack listserve <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Revisiting the timing issue...
From: Rick Norris <rnorris1@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 15:37:37 -0700 (PDT)
I finally put a timing light on my '75 and discovered
that the timing is way advanced. I feel pretty
confident that the vacuum retard either doesn't work,
as when I apply a vacuum no change occurs in the
engine idle, or it's been crippled. When I remove the
vacuum line between the rear carb and the retard pot,
no change occurs either.

I've seen the advice on this listserve to block the
vacuum retard and simply set the timing to 10 degrees
BTDC. How does one locate that point on the damper?

Am I correct in assuming that the first of the two
timing marks to appear is TDC and the second being 4
degrees ATDC?

Just out of curiosity, how advanced might the timing
be if ignition occurs, as in my case, when the TDC
mark (the first mark) is just coming into view on the
other side of the damper?

I read that an unlit propane torch is a good way to
locate vacuum leaks. Any potential unpleasant
surprises in pursuing that strategy as long as I keep
the torch over on the intake side?

Rick Norris