RE: rock

To: "j randolph sandner" <sandner@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: rock
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 16:20:42 -0700
        Randy:

        I was not copied on the thread leading up to your question, so
if I am out of context on this, please forgive me.

        In "Bentley speak" the "rock" is that point when the camshaft
lobes for a cylinder are positioned such that the valve timing is
exactly centered between the closing of the exhaust valve and the
opening of the intake valve.
        For a STOCK TR6 camshaft,  this means that the exhaust valve
will have just closed and the intake valve is just getting ready to
open. I believe Bentley states that you should measure the valve lash,
and that the lash on the intake and exhaust should be equal, but this
only works for mild camshafts. For anything beyond the stock camshaft,
both valves will be open an equal amount, and this can be clearly seen
simply by looking at the valve stem tips, or can be measured with a dial
caliper or a dial gauge.

        Vance