Re: Cleaning the engine compartment

To: 6-pack listserve <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cleaning the engine compartment
From: Grego Sanguinetti <grego@sandesco.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 12:38:45 -0700
>  How does one remove accumulated oil and dust etc. from under the
> bonnet? What about Simple Green or some other solvent? If a
> solvent/cleaner is sprayed on, how to remove it? If a garden hose
> spray is used, does one cover certain electric components with
> plastic to keep water out?

Some of those car wash places that have the open bays and coin
operated spray wands, also have steam cleaners. Those work well.
Otherwise I have used Gunk spray foam grease solvent. Simple Green
should work fine. You do have to spray it off with water.

Yes on covering a few things with a plastic bag. I cover the
Darkness Control Center ("fuse box") and the Darkness Contributer
("distributer"). Some folks pull the plug wires.
I do it while the motor is warm, but not hot. You don't want to
crack anything. Avoid spraying water down the carbinator.

-grego