RE: Tranny questions (both probably dumb...)

To: "Jamie Palmer" <tr6driver@earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: Tranny questions (both probably dumb...)
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 18:09:35 -0700
        Jamie:

        Please elaborate a bit. What have you tried to get the bearing
off? As I recall it is a press fit, so it is not going to just slide off
the mainshaft. Are you saying that you have tried a drift, and it won't
budge?
        If a drift won't move it, it is highly unlikely that a bearing
puller will move it either. If that is the case, buy a replacement
bearing and throw away the mainshaft and the bearing as the bearing
probably cold welded itself to the mainshaft.
        As I recall (always a dicey proposition with me) you need to get
the bearing off to remove the first gear and some related stuff. If that
is correct, and you cannot drift off the bearing, you are probably
looking at cutting the bearing off with a Dremel or similar tool.

        Vance