Re: HVDA conversion

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HVDA conversion
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:49:21 -0700
Dave---This isn't good. The original thought was a clearance setup
issue, but honestly, a good bearing shouldn't be noisy even if it is
making slight contact with a spinning clutch. The exception would be if
the bearing wasn't spinning in the same circle as the clutch. The
purpose of the two dowel pins is to align the bell housing with the
engine backplate (and flywheel). If you had these pins installed, then
misalignment should not be the culprit here.
It would then indicate that the bearing, for whatever reason, does not
like to do any work!

The heat generated after some engine running could cause some of the
bearing grease to move around and silence it.

With no easy way to pre-load a hydraulic throwout bearing, ala the Gunst
or any mechanical clutch operation, (to warm it up to quiet it) it would
seem that eventually a new bearing is in order. Dang!
 I put in a call to Herman, but his wife informed me that a temporary
throat ailment will have to postpone a talk about this.

Dick

From: DLylis@hyattvoi.com

tr6taylor@webtv.net, 6pack@autox.team.net

Subject: HVDA conversion

I am the guy with the squeal. I am certain that the clearance is set
correctly. The clearance was set with digital calipers and double,
triple checked before the tranny went back in. This is what happened.
The clutch was fine for about 250 miles then the squeal started. At idle
or mid range revs with the clutch out in neutral all is well. When I
depress the clutch first time, all is well. When I load the clutch, then
the noise starts. Again clutch out, nothing. Put hydraulic fluid
pressure on the TOB and the noise starts and continues without variation
throughout the full pedal travel. As I use the clutch the noise becomes
less until it goes away and then stays away. Next morning, the cycle
starts again. The noise is certainly related to fluid pressure on the
TOB. Thanks
Sent from my Blackberry wireless handheld