RE: Overdrive Problem

To: "Robert Schmuelling" <roschmug@isoc.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Overdrive Problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:01:32 -0700
        Rob:

        By all means, top off the tranny oil before you do anything
else. A funnel and a long tube running from inside the engine
compartment alongside the tranny and then into the fill port will
eliminate the e need for a hand pump to pump the oil into the tranny.

        The fact that it disengages going over a bump makes it sound
electrical, however. The switch can ground out against the steering
column, so if it is loose or rotated, correct that issue. Clogged
screens in the OD sump can cause this as well, so if the first 2 items
don't correct it, you are probably looking at cleaning the filters
internal to the OD.

        You didn't say what year car, and whether it was an a-type or a
j-type OD, so the procedures for cleaning will vary depending on the
type. Also, the earlier ODs use a relay, if I remember correctly, so you
might take a look at replacing the OD relay.

        Vance