Moss supercharger cost vs other mods

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Moss supercharger cost vs other mods
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:53:14 -0700
        Jim:

        I completely overhauled my motor for less than $2,000 which
included raising the compression, a cam, 3 angle valve job, porting the
heads and K&N air filters (stock exhaust, however). I estimate 140HP
with a good idle and good mileage. The downside is that this is hardly
"bolt on". The upside is that I got a complete engine rebuild out of the
deal, corrected a boffed head gasket installation, and replaced the cam
which had a flat lobe.
        I would say your motor needs to be in good condition for this to
work well. Compression needs to be good in all cylinders, your cooling
system needs to be up to snuff, etc. Adding a blower to a tired motor
may well push it over the edge. In particular, check to make sure your
cam is giving you the correct valve lift on all the cylinders - it is
not uncommon to lose a lobe on the camshaft.
        As for the detonation, recall that the later motors had a paltry
7.75:1 compression, which is perfect for supercharging. 6 lbs of boost
is nothing for an engine with that low of a compression ratio. The only
fly in the ointment is that you would like a cam with wider lobe centers
(112 to 114 degrees) to really take advantage of the boost. The stock
cam is set up for natural aspiration, so the lobes are a tad too tight
for a blower. Change the cam and 10 lbs of boost would be reasonable.
Hoo-yah!

        Vance