Re: Stomberg needles

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Subject: Re: Stomberg needles
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 15:37:00 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Mark Hooper wrote:

> Is there a chart anywhere for Stromberg needle choices? I have a warmed
> cam and 1.75 roller rockers. Definitely running too rich and can't get
> the adjustment right. It seems to be a needle issue, although the carbs
> probably need re-bushing too.

Okay - so how have you concluded that the car is running too rich? Are the
plugs fouling? Have you verified that the ignition is 100%?

I ask because fouling plugs can occur for reasons other than poor mixture.
Most of us that have hopped up our cars switch out the stock B1AF needles
for needles that are more rich at high RPM (help me out here, B1E??) not
leaner.

Also - make sure that you don't have other problems that look like a
mixture prob (like fuel leaking into the sump).

I'd also double check the carb float level and make 100% sure that the
needle valve isn't getting stuck (open).

> Cheers,
>
> Mark

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: 339-927-4489