RE: Camshafts for low end torque

To: "Greg Perry" <rgperry@earthlink.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Camshafts for low end torque
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:42:52 -0700
        Greg:

        The big problem with the TR6 motor towards the end was the
anemic compression ratio. If you want a nice pop in torque, shave the
head to get the compression up to between 9.5:1 and 10:1. Make sure your
anti-run on valve is working because the engine will probably start to
run on when you raise the compression.
        For torque, you want lots of lift but short duration on the
camshaft. The higher lift rockers are a good idea. You can retard the
timing on the camshaft by up to 4 degrees to improve torque as well,
although this comes with a price on the top end.
        A cold air kit of some sort will help, as will K&N filters. The
improvements are small, but they are easily added as they are in the
"bolt on" category.
        I would replace the muffler with a cyclone sonic turbo or a
Dynomax Super Turbo. While this does not increase your torque directly,
it will give you more power without costing you any torque, so it is a
good tweak to consider if you don't want to go the camshaft route for
more power.
        You are never wasting your money in the performance category.
But a strong motor is expensive, so you need to ask yourself, how fast
do I want to go?

        Vance