RE: A-Type OD Problem

To: "Mark Campbell" <MCampbell@bstg.com.au>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A-Type OD Problem
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:53:51 -0700
        Mark:

        Let me preface this note by saying I have not worked on an
A-type, so I am merely drawing on my J-Type experience. For that reason,
you may wish to hit delete now, before I feed you a line of well
intended rubbish.
        Somewhere I have a PDF A-type manual that I will send you
separately for your perusal. Just gotta remember where I put it. You can
also go here for maintenance instructions from the VTR web site:

        http://www.vtr.org/maintain/TransRebuild/

        Anyway, it sounds like your clutch may be worn out (or as you
suspected you have low hydraulic pressure due to a clogged filter, a bad
piston, or low fluid).

        I would certainly check the fluid level first. I would also
clean out the sump and the filters, then top off with 80WT gear lube.
Some people recommend 30wt non-detergent oil as well. Both work, so pick
one and stick with it.

        If that does not do it, then you are looking at dropping the
tranny and opening the OD. My experience is that the clutch sliding
members wear out. They have friction material on them just like brake
pads, and like brake pads the surface is a wear item. Unfortunately, the
clutches are no longer available new. You can have a local brake bonding
shop rebuild it for you (it will be expensive because the clutch member
is aluminum, and so the friction material must be cold bonded, which is
boo-hoo-hoo hard to do. At least that is the local gang bangers told me
when I tried to get mine rebuilt).

        You can also get rebuilt clutches from Rimmer, Quantum, etc. My
J-type clutch was $225US rebuilt from Quantum. Before you replace it,
measure the friction material (both sides of the clutch). It should be
about 0.100" thick new, and is completely worn out at 0.040" thick.

        Cheers,

        Vance