RE: Stuck shifter?

To: "Stephen Halkett" <Stephen@silex.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stuck shifter?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:33:41 -0700
        Stephen:

        If it is REALLY stuck, then something inside is bent, like a
shifter fork.

        But before you conclude that the gearbox needs help, try
rotating the tail shaft a few turns, and then try moving the gearshift
again. Don't be afraid to put some pressure on it, as it is not spinning
as it would be when the car is running. Obviously, don't put a 36"
breaker bar on it or anything crazy, but some very firm hand pressure
should pop it loose.
        As I said, if firm hand pressure does not move it, something is
bent and you should remove the top cover and check the shift forks as a
first step. They are bronze, and can get heavily worn or bent.

        Vance