Re: Intermittant starting problem

To: "Six Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intermittant starting problem
From: "Jeff Fetner" <fetnerj001@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 09:06:52 -1000
Rod,

    I have a '74 as well.  Sometimes the starter relay and seatbelt module
gets in the way of the normal startup process.  I bypassed the seatbelt module
by unplugging its connector and, using a short strand of copper wire, jumpered
sockets 11 & 12.  The SBM uses inputs from sensors in the seats, seatbelts,
and transmission to decide if it will let you start the car.  If all is well
it closes the starter relay to send 12 volts to the starter solenoid.  Maybe
its 30+ year-old electronics are making fuzzy decisions.

   The starter relay actually has two sets of points (the other sends 12 volts
to the coil during starting).  If the points for the solenoid have gone inop
for some reason, in a pinch you can swap the starter function over to the coil
points, but I don't think the coil points were made to take the heavier
solenoid load.  You can also activate the starter directly by manipulating the
wires at the starter relay.  The ignition switch must be "on" and the
transmission in neutral.

   I'm always a little leery of the starter relay arrangement after hearing
about one here that somehow engaged on its own, causing the car to move
forward into the car parked ahead of it...at least that was his story.  I took
mine apart to clean it up, and there is a very small spring that keeps the
relay points open until you hit the starter.  If it broke, I guess the points
could close and make contact, and if the car was in gear it would move
forward.

Jeff
'74 & '74.5