Re: Stuck shifter?

To: <Stephen@silex.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck shifter?
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 12:41:21 -0600
Steven, probably what happened is that one of the shift rods got bumped
with the gearshift in neutral.  You can either use a big screwdrive to
get the forks lined up, or remove the shift lever retainer cover held on
with a single hex bolt and rotate it counterclockwise, up, and off.
Remove the lever and you should be able to see how the shift rods are
supposed to line up.

John Lumia - 76 TR6

Louisville, CO

Silly question.....I had removed the engine with gearbox from my chassis
as one piece and strapped them to a stand. Recently I noticed the gear
shifter will not move in any direction....it seems jammed or
stuck...what gives?.. it was likely shifted from neutral into gear
inadvertently during the removal process.... As I am new at this resto
thing I thought I should be able to shift back into neutral without
using the "clutch" per se...no such luck! ..I did try to "ever so
gently" force it...again no luck??... So as is my practice, I left it
for awhile and moved on to other things...

Today I separated the engine from the gearbox and again thought I would
be able to shift into neutral with the engine separated...not so.... I
have not turned the engine (every thing is just as it was) but the
shifter is still stuck. It will not move into "gear" in any direction..

I really want to get it back into Neutral before commencing to remove
the clutch/flywheel from the engine for replacement/service. (I had no
plans to work on the gearbox other than do the fork thing and bolt back
together after the clutch was done)

Is it possible that something inside the shifter mechanism has gone
amiss? I checked the Bentley and the Moss/VB/TRF books, this looks
complicated...I took the shifter off the gearbox top and had a quick
peek at the plungers / balls / springs / fork etc....no answer there
either...I don't get it?