T/A helicoil

To: stan.foster@hp.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: T/A helicoil
From: Bruce Simms <brucesimms2003@yahoo.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:40:05 -0400 (EDT)
Stan:

  I believe most people go with 5/16 - 18 in the T/A.  Coarse thread works
better in aluminum.   This is what Triumph should have used.  You'll use the
same drill bit size as with 5/16 fine thread.  Adjust your drill to very slow
speed and more torque.  Use cutting oil with drill and tap.

  We replaced them all as a safety measure.  2 were broken.  An LBC mechanic
helicoiled the other side - he used  metric.  Does your drill have a built in
level or do you have some method to drill as straight as possible.

  I believe you can torque the coarse thread bolts to a higher number- but I
don't know exactly how much.

  Bruce Simms

All new Yahoo! Mail