RE: Dwell on this ...

To: "French Blue" <1975tr6@earthlink.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Dwell on this ...
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 16:21:52 -0400
<snip>

2) Since most of the pollution devices are removed (yes, I know about
Federal laws) should I continue to vent the valve cover to carbs and
charcoal canister or now only run the valve cover line to the canister?
Are there other options/suggestions on how or where to vent the valve
cover?

3) An earlier post questioned removal of the EGR with most responding to
leave it on.  It wasn't known at the time that the smog pump and exhaust
manifold were going to be removed/replaced.  Since I have now made
changes would it still be advisable to leave the EGR on the car?  If
removed does anyone know the plug sizes?

4) Can I get opinions on plugging the vacuum retard and 'stems' on the
carbs?

</snip>

I have removed the pollution stuff from my 74.5 mostly to simplify
things and clean it up, remove potential for vacuum leaks etc. I left
the carb vents, crank vents and carbon canister and anti run on valve.
They are not doing any harm and I saw no compelling reason to nuke them.

I did remove the EGR and I blocked off that port on the manifold and the
hole in the head (the cars not mine) with nice brass bolts from home
depot.

You will get various views on the vacuum retard. Some like it, some
don't. Some people say you get a smoother idle with this retarded
ignition. As Dick says the timing is going to depend on whether this
vacuum retard is in use and if it is working or not as will the idle
speed.

Stan.