tie rods

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: tie rods
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 14:29:10 EDT
Listers:

I was at the mechanic's shop today test driving my '76.  He had boxed  and
welded the front differential pins, resealed the diff, modified the clutch  to
remedy the "sticky clutch syndrome," checked the rest of the clutch parts  (OK,
relatively new), replaced the throttle shaft bushings, removed and
reinstalled the seats to get the full intended travel, lubed the chassis, and
probably
a few other things I can't remember right now.  Yes, the work was  first rate
and the bill was pretty hefty.  But at least I can upshift and  downshift
without a big clunk from the rear end, and the gas pedal doesn't  vibrate any
more.  The clutch also feels a lot smoother.

Anyway, the point of this note is that we were looking over the suspension
together with the car on the lift.  The P.O. was a pretty meticulous guy  and
redid the suspension with swaybars, Konis, rear shock conversion, improved
steering rack mounts, and judicious lowering.  The mechanic was going over
things for tightness, when he pointed out that the tie rod ends had no rubber
boots on them (either side).  He said every other car he has seen has boots  to
hold the grease in place.  If one boot were missing and one were in  place, the
problem would have been obvious, but with both missing I began to  wonder
whether this was some sort of Triumph idiosyncrasy.  What is the  story here?

BTW, what is the best source for a trunnion oiling tool?  The red
restoration book indicates that it is best to oil them, rather than grease
them.

Thanks as always.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue