RE: tie rods

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: tie rods
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:00:39 -0700
        Michael:

        Which end of the tie rods? If you are referring to the end with
the ball joint, then I would think the boot could be optional, although
my ball joints happen to have boots. They are prelubed, so not much to
worry about there. You can only add boots by replacing the ball joints
as the boots are not a separately serviced item, as far as I know.
        If you are referring to the end of the tie rod that attaches to
the steering rack, then yes you have a problem. Get a new boot kit on
there mui pronto, and get that rack regreased. The joints on the end of
the rack are not intended to be exposed to water, dirt and grit, and
will wear out in a big hurry if not protected. The boot kit is Moss part
number 680-058 and costs $18.

        Vance