RE: Carb Needles

To: "Cary Henry" <caryhenry@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carb Needles
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 07:23:04 -0700
        Cary:

        You need to define "Work". You will be able to get the car
running, but it will be way lean. You will need to change the needles
for a good idle and performance - Joe Curto (www.joecurto.com) has the
best prices and will make any needle you want adjustable.
        I am using a B1AR needle with a very similar setup. You can get
the B1AR needles from Moss or Joe, but you will need to swap the B1AR
into your existing needle carriers if you get them from Moss. If you
order from Joe, just tell him you want them adjustable and they will
drop in.
        You might also consider the B1E needle, it is a bit richer
still. Probably either one will work, but you will need to change
needles from B1AF to get the best idle and power from the car.
        By the way, you probably will find the "lift the slide" test no
longer works. The cam will lower the vacuum enough that the lift the
slide method of setting the mixture will not work, the engine will
always want to stall. I finally gave up and just resorted to driving,
reading the plugs, tweaking, repeat as needed. That gave me very
satisfactory performance and good plug color. Make sure your carbs are
in good condition and that you have no vacuum leaks. You will never get
it right if there are vacuum leaks.
        By the way, if you are still running a carbon canister, you will
also find that the valve cover breather hose admits too much air for
your new cam. I installed a restrictor in the line from the carbon
canister to carbs/valve cover. Without the restrictor the idle was very
rough and idle setup was impossible. For setup purposes I recommend that
you block the large hose from the carbon canister, do your carb setup,
and then reconnect your hose. If the idle goes shazzbat (slows, gets
rough, wants to die and you can't make it any better) then you know you
will need to restrict the amount of air admitted from the canister.
Everything will still work, you just need to allow for the lower
manifold vacuum with a performance cam.

        Cheers,

        Vance